Tuesday, September 2, 2014

the painful pursuit of beauty


for this piece I was inspired by one of Marina Abramović's early performance works.  with a brush in one hand and a comb in the other, she works on her face and hair, while repeating the sentence:  art must be beautiful, artist must be beautiful.  her voice betrays that she is in pain, and her face also makes it abundantly clear that she is hurting herself.  a truly thought provoking piece making a statement on the duality of beauty and pain reflected in art.


the painful pursuit of beauty





performance:
"I brush my hair with a metal brush in my right hand and simultaneously comb my hair with a metal comb in my left hand while doing so I continuously repeat art must be beautiful, artist must be beautiful until I hurt my face and damage my hair.

duration:  one hour
1975

                     website | commission me | facebook | twitter | flickr | S6 | G+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'd just love it if you'd "like" me..... ;)

select images of mine available through Society6